April 28, 2006

Tall cases...

I haven't blogged much lately, because I've been rushing to complete this project so my customers can show it off at a big party this weekend...

Tall bookcases in Cherry
They have a few points of interest. The wood is cherry, darkened with a dye and finished with shellac. I used shellac because it dries quickly. But I relied too much on that, and stupidly left the shelves stacked up while I installed the cases. And they stuck to each other and left ugly marks in the finish! Fortunately shellac is easy to repair, because a new layer will melt into the previous one, so I could fix things with a brush.

Also they are about 9 1/2 feet tall, which added complications, like having to disassemble the cases to get them into the room. But unlike most of my jobs, this was a brand new building and everything was plumb. In fact I couldn't quite believe it, and made the base 1/4" short, expecting to shim it level over the ups and downs of the floor. But there weren't any!

Posted by John Weidner at April 28, 2006 7:33 PM
Weblog by John Weidner